Harry Potter & Magic Tricks , Spells, Potions & More
- This or That ? You will need to have an assistant for this trick. Ask the group of children to pick out one object in the room while you are not there. When you return your assistant will ask you "Is it this cup? Is it this pen? Is it this cat? To which you will answer "no". But when your assistant says the question "Is it that ball?" You say "yes". The trick is your assistant uses the word that instead of this when it is the right item. Tricky tricky !!
- Mind Reading You will need an assistant for this trick. Draw a circle with numbers on it, mark it from one to six and place a small object on each number. Get a group / audience together. Ask someone to choose one of the objects in the circle and whisper it to your assistant, without you overhearing. Now you will read your assistants mind, by simply touching his head, and tell the group what the object was. Put your hands on the side of his face. When the assistant squeezes his back teeth you can feel it. The assistant will clench his teeth the number that the object is.
- Instant Inflation Amaze your audience by blowing up a balloon without ever using your mouth. First pour some vinegar into a bottle , then pour a tsp of bicarbonate of soda into a balloon and stretch it over the top. Pick up the balloon and empty out the bicarbonate ( in front of your audience ) and watch as the balloon magically inflates.
- Bubble Potion This is a powerful potion - but please don't drink it ! Half fill a bottle with vinegar and drop in a tsp of bicarbonate of soda. For a longer lasting froth add a little dishwashing liquid to the vinegar.
- Magic Invisible Ink Write a secret message on a piece of paper in lemon juice with a paintbrush ( for best results use drawing paper ). To decode the message just have someone iron the message with a hot iron until it comes through.
Harry Potter Games & Fun Stuff
- The Sorting Hat Before the party print out these Badges. Punch a hole in each one and put some yarn or string on it to make it so the guests can wear them around their necks. Make a sorting hat ( out of a paper bag - wrinkle it up a bit first and then shape it into a pointed wizard style hat ) Place the hat on each childs head as they enter ( just like in the movie ) and have someone in another room state which house they will be in ( Hufflepuff , Ravenclaw , Gryffindor , Slytherin ) . Then give them their badges.
- Scavenger Hunt - Break the kids up into groups of two and have them hunt for treasures on a list that you prepared for them ( make sure they are all underwater type items - for ex. sea shell , shovel , crab , sea weed etc. ) The first team to find all their items wins a big prize - give a consolation prize to all the other players so no one feels left out
- Treasure Hunt - This one is so much fun but takes a bit more effort to set up. You will need to think up about 10 clues - each clue will lead the players to the next clue The kids can all work together as a team for this one - try to make your clues tricky so that they really have to think to figure it out. Have the final clue lead to a treasure box filled with dollar store goodies for the guests to split up
- Treasure Hunt For Younger Kids - Have the kids dig in the sand for some buried treasure. Just bury some fun dollar store items in your sandbox , provide some shovels & pails and let them dig away
- Sorcerer's Stone Treasure Hunt
The object of this game is to find
the REAL Sorcerer's Stone.
Before the party paint a large
rock with gold spray paint.
Hide the rock and treasure hunt
clues that lead to the rock.
Send the children out as a group
to find the Stone. If you have
a large group you may need to
divide into houses (teams) and
set up two treasure hunts. You can
use the same clues just duplicate
them and change the order for
each team. Don't forget to use
characters, props etc, from Harry
Potter...Hand the children their
first clue written on a scroll
(rolled up paper).
This one is played just like Marco
Polo ( no pool though ). Pick
someone to be Harry and blindfold
them. Have the kids sit in a circle
around Harry and select one child
to be Hedwig ( don't tell Harry )
Now have all the children ( except
Harry ) make animal noises (
squaking , crowing , squeaking ,
tweeting whatever they like ) The
person who is Hedwig must Hoo
like an owl and Harry must find
that player and tap them on the
shoulder. Keep playing until all of
the kids have had a chance to be
- Quidditch Play this the easy way with a tennis ball ( snitch ) and goal markers. Play it like hockey - the kids will love it.
Magic & Harry Potter Party Printables
Magic & Harry Potter Party Invitations
Magic & Harry Potter Party Decorations
If you are having a Harry Potter party ( or a magic themed party ) the decorating will be very important. You will want to create a magic atmosphere for the kids that they will love ! Try doing some of your decorating shopping when the Hallowe'en stuff is out at the dollar store - buy things like plastic spiders , plastic bats , spider webs , plastic frogs , some creepy plastic body parts ( eyeballs , ears - even tongues can be found sometimes - put them into a jar floating with some water ). Make some potions and put them into jars ( just use some water and food coloring ) then label them with some interesting labels.
For streamer and balloons I would go with a dark blue , some gold & black. You can also purchase some 'Harry Potter' themed decorations from your local party store ( sometimes from the dollar store too )
Create Diagon Alley and Hogwarts School using a large sponge, gray paint and sheets of butcher paper or white fabric.
Hang shops sign made from bristol board, add some fake spider webs.
Hang mirrors everywhere. Make and hang fake paintings ( you could print out some coloring pages on this site - enlarge them and paint them ). Place electric candles (the ones used at Christmas) all around the table area ( Great Hall like in the movie ). Make a Welcome to Hogwarts sign.
You should consider asking the guests to come dressed in their best Wizard attire ( cape , wand , cap etc. ) Or you can make your own ( make a wand out of a piece of willow stick and put some glitter glue on the end ).
Looking to make a Harry Potter costume - here are instructions.
Magic Cakes & Food
- Creepy Popcorn ~ Fill a white bowl with popcorn ( pretend that the bowl & popcorn are a head ) - add a bunch of gummy worms for hair, glue a crazy mouth to the bowl and some crazy eyes and there you have it a ghoulish bowl of treats !
- Bat Wings ( actually use chicken wings )
- Dragon Snot - Green Sherbert mixed with Sprite
Magic & Harry Potter Graphics & Clipart
Harry Potter & Magic Crafts
Select one craft that best suits your child's interest and age group.